Friday 19 October 2012

The wonderful smell of Roasting Tomatoes...



As I've said in the past, I'm doing a lot of canning this fall.  This is my second batch of tomatoes. I purchased this case of 20 lbs from a small farm just up the road from my home. Imagine a working farm within the city limits on a lot that could contain a condo unit, wonderful, absolutely wonderful!  Fresh veggies a stone's throw from my door, picked daily.  A little farm supporting a family, and changing the face of how we can get our vegetables in Victoria, bravo; now let's hope more people move in this direction.   I have only canned 10 lbs of the 20 so far from this lot.  I decided to make tomato sauce, the result was 18 pints of wonderful roasted tomato sauce.  The aroma that filled my kitchen was so soul satisfying, I had to make pasta for dinner that evening.

The 18 pints cost just .55 cents each, not bad for gourmet tomato sauce, don't you think?  The following is my recipe, it's not exact  I'm afraid, because I'm more or less a "bit of this, some of that" type of cook, but I did try to keep track of what I was doing this time. 










Turkey Meatballs with roasted Tomato Sauce,  with Broccoli Slaw.
Yummy!!!


By doing this canning I'm improving my diet in several ways, I lower the salt and preservatives we consume.  I'm supporting our local farmers, thus supporting sustainability.  I'm improving my bottom line while reducing our bottom line :) get it bottom line! 
ha ha !!! bottom line,  diet blog,  good lord I must be tired, or my cold medicine has kicked in, either way sorry for the corny jokes. 

So before this turns into a sorry slapstick blog, I think I'm going to take myself to bed, and try get rid of this silly cold that has decided to take up residence in my head.  I'll be talking to you again tomorrow, but first just a little something to leave you smiling enjoy.  I know it made me laugh, though it could be the NyQuil.  Nah, it's my crazy mother sense of humor kicking in, this would be like something my son would have done.  I'll tell you another time about a boy, a fence and a basketball and a similar situation. Have a great night.




No comments:

Post a Comment